Downtown Abbey Quotes

by - 1:18:00 PM

On educating girls:
Lady Sybil Crawley: ‘No one ever learned anything from a governess except for French, and how to curtsy.’
Dowager Countess: ‘What more do you need?


On medicine:
Doctor: ‘Mrs Crawley tells me she has recommended nitrate of silver and tincture of steel.’
Dowager Countess: ‘Why, is she making a suit of armour?’



On meddlesome relations:
Dowager Countess: ‘You are quite wonderful the way you see room for improvement wherever you look. I never knew such reforming zeal.’
Mrs Crawley: ‘I take that as a compliment.’
Dowager Countess: ‘I must have said it wrong.’



On finally seeing the back of bullying newspaper magnate Sir Richard Carlisle:
Sir Richard: ‘I am leaving in the morning, Lady Grantham. I doubt we will meet again.’
Dowager Countess: ‘Do you promise?’



Countess Dowager on remaining optimistic: 'Don't be defeatist, dear. It's very middle class.'


On friendship:
‘I have plenty of friends I don’t like.’

 Countess Dowager on being outspoken: 'I say things others don't. That has value.'
On romance:
Lady Sybil: ‘Why Granny, you’re a romantic.’
Dowager Countess: ‘I have been called many things, but never that.’
On herself:
Mrs Crawley: ‘I think I was a little too harsh on you. I’m  not perfect.’
Dowager Countess: ‘I am. I’d be happy to show you the ropes.’



You May Also Like

0 comments